Friday, October 13, 2006

Oktoberfest Part 2

So basically Oktoberfest was amazing. I had so much fun! I got into the office a half an hour early because I ran out of things to do at home and of course was antsy to get started on everything. So at 9:30, decked out in my UPB gear I skipped to the office. Good thing I went in early cuz just after I did the Carnival Services people were there ready to set up the wheel. So I had to go out to the field and show them and the groundspeople where it was going to go. As soon as they drove their truck out onto the field the drama started. There was discussion that the ferris wheel was smaller than the one we saw online and that it was too kidish and not old fashioned looking like someone thought it should have looked. Although on a day like this with a large event like this you have to choose your battles. I talked to the ferris wheel operators and told them not to worry about anything. I went back inside, called various people to burn off steam and checked out the website. I thought the ferris wheel we recieved was exactly the one that we had ordered, so I told everyone that, and it was determined that as long as I was satisfied that was all that mattered. That's right, cuz its my event and I'm the boss! ;) Sorry mini power trip.
Anyway, after that I started setting up the pergola and driving around on the cart with Leah and Kristen putting everything to where it was supposed to go. Everyone from work was really helpful and even some of the Theta Chi guys came out to help, which was awesome! I don't think we would have started on time or been able to clean up so fast without them. Once the actual event started I knew it was going to be great. We had a steady group of people all day long. They rode the ferris wheel, jumed on the bungee trampoline and ate all the the yummy German food (which actually I thought was just "ok"). However, the popcorn machine and the cotton candy were big hits and really did taste yummy. Also I had invited the Global Affairs office out to have a table so students could learn about studying abroad. Now the most amazing part to me was the DJ. I booked DJ Marquis on a suggestion from Bill who had seen him at Stockton's Family Fun Day. He was the best! He got the crowd really involved, and played great music. Leah and I were discussing after the event how we were amazed that the karaoke went over so well. Basically all the DJ did was have people sing karaoke, he even got me to go up there, but only with a group of course. Sing by myself, yeah right. So overall I think the event was a hit, and that makes me happy. I am only satisfied with an event if I know that the students are enjoying themselves. Thank you to everyone who came out to see me, or helped with the event you guys are awesome!

1 comment:

Defying Gravity said...

That is so great, too bad I couldn't come out and help you but I have so much stuff to its crazy. Sounds like you have been pretty busy yourself but it seems like everything is going well. When were you going to do the Italian event? Anyway, JD and I will come visit you soon I hope! Love ya!
Holly