Saturday, July 15, 2006

Forever 21 Evangelists

I went shopping the other day at Forever 21, and today as I was putting my purchase away and folding up the bag, I noticed something interesting. Printed on the bottom of the bag were the words John 3:16. Which for those of you who don't know is:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

After I noticed that I turned to the internet to find out what other people were saying about it. Most people thought it was cool, some were against the idea of a store promoting chrisianity and others were just plain confused as to why a company would do that. Well I think its pretty cool. Its a nice subtle way of expressing their beliefs. And apperantly its working, at least in the capacity that lots of people are looking up the verse in their bibles (if they have them or use them).

Forever 21 is not the first corporation to do this sort of witnessing. In-N-Out and Alaska Airlines also use religious verses on their products.

So what do you guys think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i was going to mention In-n-Out, but you diligently included them. I am certainly for them doing that. If someone has a problem with it, that's quite unfortunate. Shirts, and bags can say whatever sinful, perverse thing they want. However, once you put a Bible verse on it, it becomes a controversy.

Anonymous said...

If I had a business I would do that do, and each time I ordered a new batch I would pick another verse...that would be awesome...more power to them!

Sara said...

I agree. And I like the idea of picking new verses for each batch. The consumers might even start to look forward to a new verse each time.